Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tasty Tuesday-When Life Gives you Buttermilk...Make Pancakes!

Hey there-welcome to a lovely Tuesday!  I mentioned in last week's post that not all of my homemade yogurt attempts worked out and I ended up with a large quantity of buttermilk.  I found this recipe (sorry I forgot which website I jotted it down from!) and we went to town making a double batch.  We proceeded to make up as many waffles and pancakes as we could, leaving enough for breakfast and then freezing the rest in portions.  So far it's been great and we just take a portion out at night to thaw for the next morning and then pop them in the toaster oven-delish!  Saves so much time doing it once and much cheaper than store-bought frozen waffles :)

3 Cups flour (I did mostly wheat flour)
3 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
-----------mix all dry ingredients in 1 bowl

3 Cups buttermilk
1/2 Cup milk (I used more buttermilk since it was home cultured "buttermilk" and not as strong as a technical store-bought kind)
3 eggs
1/3 Cup melted butter
-------------mix all wet ingredients in 1 bowl
Mix wet and dry ingredients well, but don't over-mix.  Cook them immediately on a flattop or in a waffle iron :) 

Sometime I want to experiment with different flavors like carrot cake pancakes or peanut butter pancakes, but for this time I'm ok with plain Jane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment