Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Let's Get Down To Business-A Lesson in Goal Setting

"I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don't set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When one learns to master the principles of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life". M. Russell Ballard


I've learned for myself that goal setting is vital to business (and life!) If you are driving on the the road without a destination, you will never make it anywhere meaningful! I realized that I really needed to apply this principle to my etsy shop.

I keep finding myself unhappy with how few sales I get (If you look at my shop you will see 61 sales since July, but really not even a third of those are true sales-most were trades) How can I really be happy or disappointed though if I don't have anything to compare it to?

Here are some vital points to goal setting:
#1 Focus on the most important (and sometimes weakest) areas for your particular business

#2 Be specific and realistic, but set goals that will make you stretch.

#3set daily, weekly, monthly, and perhaps even yearly goals.

#4 Make plans to accomplish your goals.

#5 Measure your progress and make adjustments as needed.

#1 Take a minute to evaluate where you can improve. (for myself) what is the most important or weakest part to my shop? I think advertising is the most needful, as well as consistent listings-I have a hard time getting myself to take pictures and list when I'd rather spend time creating and they'd magically sell themselves!

#2 & 3 Be specific and realistic eh? What kinds of goals should you set? Good ideas are: time spent marketing, time creating products, time/amount of listings made daily/weekly, and sales goals. If you don't set a goal you will never know how well you are doing! Making 2 sales this month might make you feel good, but next month you may get impatient and wonder what's wrong with you. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GOAL IN MIND THEN YOU CAN'T TRULY VALIDATE FEELINGS OF SUCCESS OR FAILURE! Set numerical goals and then make plans to achieve them. Stretch yourself but don't make them so hard that you get down on yourself. Try to be better tomorrow than you were today :D

#4 I plan to save up money to fly back to Poland where I spent a year and a half-to visit some friends and take in some sights. I am currently penniless, but heck, I have a goal right? Having a goal set means it will somehow happen right? I think we all know the answer to that! If I don't set up an account to save money and plan on a dollar amount to put into that fund each month, I will never make it there! Just like with Etsy-having 1,000 sales a month is a superb goal, but if you don't back it up with an advertising plan, then you're going nowhere fast!

#5 Constantly re-evaluate. Don't get in a rut. Maybe what worked for you a few months ago doesn't work as well now.

I hope this has helped some of you put things in perspective-I know it has helped me loads!

2 comments:

  1. This was very helpful. I find myself in the same state of apathy when it comes to the business side of my Etsy shop. I love creating, but am lax in marketing. I can't sell what no one knows is there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a timely post -- and I agree 100% with Diane's comment about you "can't sell what no one knows is there". I was looking around my studio this past weekend thinking I really need to get some photos done and get some of this listed. Did I? Of course not, the creative part of my mind rathe than the business part won out.

    ReplyDelete