Friday, March 9, 2012

Frugal with Food (And other goodies)




There were a couple tips I utilized recently that I thought I'd share.

The first frugal with food tip I want to share is to freeze fresh foods before they expire. On the left of the picture I posted you will see a spinach crepe batter. We did a DIY salad bar for our wedding reception and ended up having tons of spinach leftover. We could only eat so much fresh, thus we froze some before it went bad. Just a quick thaw and it's good as any cooked spinach. I decided to do a little research and I like the tips posted on FavoriteFreezerFoods.com. I find it interesting that bacon can still go rancid in the freezer and I may try freezing eggs next time I have some expiring.

The other frugal with food tip I have for you is something that I actually saw on a TV show called "Extreme Cheapskates". It was a pretty intense show and my husband agreed that we will NEVER do things like use cloth toilet paper, but I actually liked one of the ideas someone had on there. On the right of the picture posted, you will see cereal dust. You know the stuff at the bottom of the bag that you don't want to go in your bowl and mix with the milk? It's that stuff. I save it up in a little airtight container and when I go to make something like banana bread, I add it in as part of the flour. Why waste?



Soooooo.....more goodies. I just wanted to share some pictures of felted wool balls I made for a barter on Etsy. These are great for so many purposes-cat or dog toys, soft play toys for kids, decoration, stress balls, and some people even swear by them for use in the dryer to help soften clothes, lower dry time, and help keep away static. I'm adding a listing to my CustomCreativityGal shop tonight so anyone interested may purchase some as well :)



Lastly, don't forget about my giveaway! So far we have less than a dozen entries-see a couple posts below this. Your chances are great to win some sidewalk chalk, go enter and tell your friends with kids to enter!

1 comment:

  1. I freeze egg whites all the time and reuse them. As well as lemon juice (when you just need some zest and don't want to waste.) I freeze fresh herbs and the partial cans of tomato sauce or pumpkin or the last slice of bread for breadcrumbs. Tons of thinks can be frozen and used. Keep a list or your freezer gets taken over by what you have frozen and forgotten! :)

    ReplyDelete