Friday, February 28, 2014

Fitness Friday~Portion Size and New Nutrition Labels

Companies can be so darn sneaky when it comes to portion sizes.  A can of pop should be a portion size, because...really....are you going to drink it over a couple of different days?  Here are a couple shots of a cookie package I got a while ago. 


3 Servings, but only 2 cookies.  Really?!  Sometimes I just have to shake my head.  I ate both of those cookies in 1 sitting if I remember right...but even if I split it or saved one for later, a more realistic serving size is 1 cookie.  Who eats 2/3 of a cookie?  No one.  It's a sneaky little nasty way they have of making you think you're not eating as many calories as you really are-you take a quick glance (hey, 120 isn't bad....) but in reality, it's 360 per package or 180 per cookie.  Tsk tsk.

I read an article explaining a new proposed FDA food nutrition label (the kind you see on all packaged food in the US).  Serving size changes is just one of the proposed changes.  A couple of the changes I don't care much for, but I like what they're saying for the most part. 

To read the article about the proposed changes and the reason behind them, read it HERE.  What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment