Friday, February 7, 2014

Fitness Friday~Be Prepared for a Healthier Lifestyle

We live in a busy busy busy day and age, no one can argue that!  As I sit typing my blog, I pat myself on the back for cleaning the kitchen and dining room...but I look around me and see paperwork that I should have done last week, a couple of sewing projects strewn about, and know that I should work more, exercise, shovel the driveway, shower, the list could go on!  I believe that a huge downfall we face with our health is  preparation.  Here are a couple tips that I have found useful in my weight loss/healthier lifestyle journey:

*Plan menus-I personally hate meal planning...I'm the kind of person that goes to the store and buys what looks good.  Usually influenced by sales, which produce looks best, and the "usuals", I make my purchases and then come home with no plan in mind.  This isn't terrible by any means of the imagination, but I've come to learn that having a plan helps.  At the least, you can have a list of meals you want to make.  I don't like assigning specific meals to specific days because I just might not feel like cooking or eating that meal I planned for Saturday when I thought I would on Monday.  Planning meals also helps get you out of food ruts, try new recipes, and not default to buying a boxed meal or fast food.

*Food prep-Again, this is a little "do as I say, not as I do", but I've been getting better at it.  I know with 100% certainty that I would eat more veggies if I had them prepped for snacking.  But if I get ravenous, or just lazy, and want a quick fix...washing and trimming a carrot isn't as easy as opening a package of fruit snacks or crackers or *insert other non-vegetable snack*.  Washing and trimming up snacking veggies once or twice a week makes it so much easier to grab and go! 

I don't know if you're one of the sneak-candy-into-the-theatre kind of people or not, but I'll admit that I've taken some bagged veggies in with me to snack on.  If that's not your style-prep some for road trips or when you're heading out for a long shopping trip (we all know you shouldn't shop hungry!)  However you work it into your life, I know it makes it easier to eat healthier if you take the forethought to prepare :)


No comments:

Post a Comment