Sunday, May 6, 2012

Today's Freebies-and a tip for making clothes last longer!

Just getting a word in while waiting for my better half to come home from a late shift at work :-/  Today was an awesome day for couponing, thought I'd share some with you.  Here is a picture of today's freebies.  Of course, this doesn't include "Buy One, Get One Free" sale items or "Buy this, get that free" sales. 

The paint and work gloves were from ACE.  The paint is a fun "just because" and "you never know when you'll want it" thing...The work gloves are nice as we're in the process of planting a garden.  We found out the men's pair is too small though for my husband's hands so I guess we can use them in a housewarming gift basket some time?  (Paint was free with a coupon/promo, gloves are free after rebate.) 

The Hot Tamales, Oreos, cameras, and Glad plugins were free from Rite Aid.  I had to use both my hubby's and my Rite Aid cards to get what we have here and I went to 2 Rite Aids.  The plugins were from a rain check I got on a deal a while ago.  I'm most proud of the cameras because I don't think it was publicly known about this awesome deal.  I follow 5 couponing blogs and on occasion, 1 has a post that the others don't and this was the case :)  Regularly $14 each, I got the cameras FREE!!! The cashier was actually shocked speechless seeing me get them for free.  I'm not sure what I will do with the cameras...something fun.  As for the plugins...add them to housewarming gift baskets? 


As I'm typing, I also remember another thing I got for free, a new Quaker oatmeal product, it'll be free after rebate.  I just remembered it because I was organizing my reciepts and rebates while I was doing laundry....thus my tip for making clothes last longer.......

Background story:  I know my boss thinks I'm crazy and I always talk about the free stuff I get, but I think she's learning how much money you can save when you put your mind to it.  She actually had a tip for me the other day that I just hadn't thought about.  She said that once a year she takes her family's black clothes and re-dyes them.  What a great way to extend the life of your clothes!!! 

I went by Walmart and picked up some Rit dye for a couple bucks and just did a load.  It can be a tad technical and messy, but it really wasn't that bad.  1 thing to note is that it is mostly recommended for cotton clothes.  Half of our batch I was considering was polyester which the dye is not recommended for so I only did the cotton bunch, which were the most faded anyway.  I'm so mad at myself that I didn't take a before picture, but it's drying right now and looks great.  I think I'll make this a yearly tradition as well-why toss out perfectly good clothes just because they're faded? 

No comments:

Post a Comment